Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Caught on the radar!

I will confess up front that I am a SLOW rider. I have big chicken strips on all my tires to prove this!

Still this one time, on the way from Olimpos to Anamur, I got carried away in a corner and found some Turkish cops waiting for me at the end. Now cops in Europe and even Turkey are different from those in the US. There is generally no display of authority. Violations are handled in a much relaxed manner and some argumentation/debate is usually involved. Most importantly, there is no rush to resolve the matter or issue a citation.

They said I was going 112 in a 98 zone. I called BS. There were signs for 90, 100, 110, etc. but never 98kmph. Some say that motorcycles are allowed only 90% of the displayed speed as the limit. As far as I remember, the last sign said 100. Where did 98kmph came from? Also I remember about 105 on the speedo and this is a BMW speedo which is always a bit optimistic. So we argued for a while but neither side budged. Finally after my asking for it several times, a citation was issued for 140TL


but I have been told that this paper is as good as toilet paper, well except that it is not very soft or absorbent :-)

Previous offenders, who shall not be named, have also not paid their tickets from the past and have not had any issue with entry/exit to/from Turkey.

So this wasted a good 1 hour at the traffic stop in the heat but that is the extent of the damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment