Monday, August 15, 2011

The scary looking crash on day 1

Lack of sleep for a few nights before the flight and also on the flight (see previous post), slight jet lag, plus off-road == CRASH

On the way from Sofia to Trigrad, Luke mentioned that there is a really scenic off-road section which is also a short-cut. Now the road for the past couple of hours was severely pot-holed with a generous sprinkling of sand and gravel all over. So I said sure, lets take the real off-road and hopefully save some time. SAN had been on it before and decided to stick to the "road" and I went with Luke. Well we barely rode for 15 minutes when I came into a corner in the wrong gear (maybe 3rd) with some rocks in the middle, went on the wrong side to avoid those rocks while trying to scrub some speed, fish-tailed and gently low sided. I immediately got away from the bike, but as I said, I was on the wrong side and the bike slid down into the ditch, almost 10' below :-(

I called out to Luke but he could not hear me, so I walked down to the bike and almost felt that the trip might be over even before it really started. Luke came back a couple of minutes later and we straightened up the bike. This will obviously need HELP


Thanks to Luke, help arrived soon and the bike was pulled out with 7 manpower.


Luke told me on the side to give the crew some money for their help. As I took out my wallet, these guys immediately said NO. Humanity is very much alive! Thank you guys and of course thank you Luke!

It turned out that the damage was minimal, 1 broken turn signal and mirror, some scratches on the plastic and a bent rear brake lever which Luke helped me straighten enough to be good for me, I rarely use rear brake!

So this is the story of my first crash in 14 years and well into 6 figure miles. Not a scratch on me. I am quite lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment